Oppo has today announced new innovations to its OPPO VOOC Flash Charge technology, delivering developments in safety, efficiency and ease-of-use to further improve the user experience.
Safe charging: new upgrades and innovations
With efficiency and safety at the forefront of OPPO’s Flash Charging technology, OPPO has introduced a five-fold safety protection system to enhance safety in VOOC Flash Charge technology.
By exploring how new materials, AI algorithms and charging can be used to deliver further innovations, OPPO’s developments create a safer charging experience and include:
- Fuse with lower impedance in the Flash Charge five-fold safety protection system can immediately blow, should an electric current overload or other abnormality occur, protecting the battery by isolating it from the electricity supply. The upgraded fuse design has lower internal resistance and improved performance, helping to improve the safety of the charging system.
- Gallium Nitride (GaN) Switches have been implemented in OPPO smartphones for the first time, achieving the same functionality as traditional silicon MOSFET switches over a smaller area, while low impedance and high voltage operation reduces heat generation, improving charging efficiency and reliability.
- Internal series bi-cell design allows the same power to be delivered while lowering the current and reducing heat generation. It combines dual battery cells in the same structure, taking up less space while still delivering the same safety performance – a 5% increase in battery capacity for the same size battery.
- OPPO’s proprietary Battery Safety Detection Chip with embedded AI algorithms detects if batteries have suffered external damage by recognising voltage drops in real-time. If the drop is a result of damage to the battery, the phone will warn the user and initiate safety measures to prevent further hazards.
- A Composite Structure Safety Battery developed by OPPO features a new composite current collector sandwiched between two aluminium layers. It is coated with additional protective material to make up the five-layer composite current collector structure, improving battery safety, protecting it from short circuits caused by external damage, without compromising on performance. Testing reveals the new battery passes puncture and collision tests with a 100% success rate.
“The developments in OPPO’s VOOC Flash Charge technology are based on innovation across our fast charging ecosystem, encompassing a charging adapter, charging cable, PMIC, battery and more,” said Jeff Zhang, Chief Scientist of OPPO VOOC Flash Charge. “Whether people prefer wireless or wired charging, VOOC Flash Charge technology is now capable of meeting a wide range of needs, even in the most extreme circumstances.”
Smart charging: optimising speed and battery life
OPPO’s latest advancements in smart charging technology keep charging speeds within the safest possible range by adjusting the charging current based on intelligent detection of different charging scenarios. This helps to reduce battery ageing to provide users with optimal battery life for a longer period of time.
The smart charging developments include:
- Longer battery life while ensuring the speed of 65W SuperVOOC and full charge/discharge of the battery, the technology is able to maintain battery capacity to 80% of its original capacity after as many as 1,500 charge cycles.
- Improved charging speed in specific scenarios based on the instantaneous maximum power that the battery can safely take in at any given time. For 65W SuperVOOC, it can increase the speed by around 20%, enabling a 4500mAh battery to be fully charged in 30 minutes.
- Balancing charging speed and phone temperature, the technology can intelligently find the best balance between the optimal charging and temperature rise under different usage scenarios.
Intelligent charging for all situations
OPPO has been exploring ways to optimise fast charging technology under more extreme situations. For example, it can be difficult to charge a lithium-ion battery in very cold environments, so OPPO’s ultra-low temperature charging solution uses smart algorithms to determine the optimal charging temperature of the battery and increase the temperature before charging begins. Test results show that the battery is capable of increasing in temperature from -20℃ to 10℃ in just tens of seconds, allowing the battery to be charged as normal.
In the era of the Internet of Experience, OPPO’s Flash Charge technology is evolving to bring users a new generation charging experience designed to excel in any situation, allowing people to charge any device, anytime, anywhere.